Franz von Stuck • Couple at a Forest's Edge
Oil on canvas
42 : 62 cm
Signed lower right
Private Collection, Baden-Württemberg Germany
Galerie Ritthaler, Hamburg
Private Collection, Bavaria Germany
Otto Julius Bierbaum, "Franz von Stuck", Künstler- Monographien, Vol. XLII, (4th ed.), Bielefeld/Leipzig 1924
See Heinrich Voss, ‟Franz von Stuck 1863–1928. Werkkatalog der Gemälde mit einer Einführung in seinen Symbolismus”, Munich 1973, p. 111, no. 63/240
Landkreisgalerie Passau auf Schloss Neuburg: “150 Jahre Franz von Stuck 1863 – 1928“, 2013
Österreichische Galerie im Belvedere, Wien: “Sin and Secession. Franz von Stuck in Vienna“, 2016, cat. no. 195, p. 250
Franz von Stuck
1863 Tettenweis (Bavaria) - 1928 Munich
Franz Stuck’s life is a story of rags to riches. A miller’s son, he advanced to be one of the most highly respected artists of his day. His princely lifestyle contrasted starkly with his modest beginnings, earning him the title Malerfürst.
As a child, Stuck showed precocious skill as a draughtsman. Unusually for a boy of his social rank, his talents were nurtured from an early age and he was sent to train at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Munich. After completing his training he enrolled at the Munich Academy. As an academy student in the years 1881-5 he produced humorous drawings for illustrated magazines and provided sketches for a portfolio titled Allegorien und Embleme. These works demonstrate a growing sensibility for ornamental effect and a penchant for highly imaginative mythological imagery, both of which were to form the bedrock of his artistic practice and bring him widespread recognition.
Stuck’s breakthrough came in 1889 when he was awarded a gold medal for a painting titled Der Wächter des Paradieses at the annual exhibition staged at the Munich Glaspalast. The painting, an idealized life-sized self-portrait, is now in the collection of the Museum Villa Stuck in Munich. As a founder member of the Munich Secession in 1892 he was able to exercise increasing influence in official artistic circles. His appointment as professor at the Munich Academy in 1895, coupled with the construction of a magnificent villa on Prinzregentenstrasse in 1897-8 elevated his social status. The building was built and decorated according to his own plans – an attempt to create his own ideal of the Gesamtkunstwerk through a symbiosis of architecture, painting and sculpture. He was ennobled in 1905.
Stuck’s importance lies in his unrivalled ability – as a draughtsman, painter and sculptor – to use his unerring decorative sensibility to break down the boundaries between fine and applied art. Echoing Arnold Böcklin and Max Klinger, his Symbolist imagery is filled with yearning for a world enraptured by beauty, between heroism and hedonism. Paintings like Die Sünde (Neue Pinakothek Munich), Der Krieg (Neue Pinakothek Munich) and Der Kuss der Sphinx (Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest) and sculptures such as Verwundeter Kentaur and Reitende Amazone are icons of early twentieth-century art – works whose aesthetic appeal and pulling power are still unabated.